There are plenty of other datasets on all aspects of music history – surveys of publishers, dictionaries of musical themes, instrument catalogues, among others. Here is a selection.
|Psalms in metre (1644)1||Psalm tunes and incipits – one of the earliest examples of a thematic catalogue. Available at Google Books.|
|Breitkopf Catalogue (1762)2||Thematic catalogue of Breitkopf’s publications (about 14,000)|
|Bartók (c.1905)3||Over 3,000 Romanian folk music melodies collected by Bartók|
|Cecil Sharp (1903–23)4||5,000+ English folk songs collected by Cecil Sharp|
|Dictionary of Musical Themes (1948-50)5||9,800 instrumental themes, 6,500 vocal themes. Designed to identify themes from a short series of pitches.|
|Directory of Classical Themes (1975)6||About 10,000 musical themes (based on previous entry). Designed to identify themes from Up/Down/Repeat sequence.|
|ABC Tunefinder||Meta-search for folk-tunes in ABC format.|
|Peachnote||Theme finder, covering 160,000 works in music files from IMSLP and elsewhere|
|Themefinder||Folk, Classical and Motet themes – 35,000 incipits|
|British publishers (1900)7||A survey of about 500 British music publishers. Available at archive.org|
|Publishing in the British Isles (1970)8||Survey of about 2,200 British music publishers, printers, etc to 1850.|
|Victorian music publishers (1990)9||Survey of about 1,500 British music publishers 1830–1900.|
|Harpsichords and clavichords (1440-1840)10||Survey of harsichord and clavichord makers and about 2,000 surviving instruments.|
|Historical woodwind instruments11||Inventory of 200 makers and 4,900 woodwind instruments.|
|Medieval Instruments (400-1500)12||Survey of 500+ extant medieval instruments.|
|Listening Experience Database||Database covering individuals’ experiences of listening to music|
Cite this article as: Gustar, A.J. 'Miscellaneous Datasets' in Statistics in Historical Musicology, 14th July 2017, https://www.musichistorystats.com/resources/datasets/miscellaneous/.
- Barton, W. 1644. The Book of Psalms in metre. London: Matthew Simmons for the Company of Stationers.
- Breitkopf & Co. 1762–65. Catalogo delle sinfonie, partite, overture, soli, duetti, trii, quattri e concerti per il violin, flauto traverse, cembalo ed altri stromenti, che si trovano in manuscritto nella Officina musica di Giovanni Gottlob breitkopf in Lipsia. Leipzig
- Bartók, B. 1967. Rumanian folk music (3 volumes). Suchoff, B. (Ed.). The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff.
- Sharp, C. J. 1974. Cecil Sharp’s Collection of English Folk Songs. Edited by Maud Karpeles. London: Oxford University Press.
- Barlow, H. & Morgenstern, S. 1948. A Dictionary of Musical Themes. New York: Crown.
Barlow, H. & Morgenstern, S. 1950. A Dictionary of Vocal Themes. New York: Crown.
- Parsons, D. 2008. The Directory of Classical Themes. London: Piatkus.
- Kidson, F. 1900. British music publishers, printers and engravers: London, Provincial, Scottish, and Irish. London: W.E.Hill & Sons.
- Humphries, C. & Smith, W. C. 1970. Music publishing in the British Isles from the earliest times to the middle of the nineteenth century: A dictionary of engravers, printers, publishers and music sellers, with a historical introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Parkinson, J. A. 1990. Victorian Music Publishers: an annotated list. Michigan: Harmonie Park Press.
- Boalch, D. H. 1995. Makers of the harpsichord and clavichord 1440-1840 (third edition). Oxford: Clarendon
- Young, P. T. 1993. 4900 historical woodwind instruments: an inventory of 200 makers in international collections. London: T. Bingham
- Crane, F. 1972. Extant Medieval Musical Instruments: A Provisional Catalogue by Types. University of Iowa Press